Friday, June 1, 2012

Zombie Garden

Whenever I hear this poem in my head, it is always in the voice of Andrei Codrescu.

Tomatoes and peppers 
     Planted by moonlight
          Next to the driveway.

An awful place really.
Too open, too visible;
     Requiring incantations to ward off
          Rabbits and neighbors and zombies.

I sprinkle soil, with its rotting 
    Wood chip smell on the pavement;
          A feeble talisman against
               Vegetable thieves.

Once I stake the tomatoes,
     Vampires will be easy quarry.
But what I really need are worms.

Worms so that after the battle  of the rutabagas;
              After the crusade of the cucumbers,
When my tomato flesh pieces fall in this,
                          My loamy mound,
I am composted quickly;
     
Out of the reach of the neighbors
     And rabbits
     And zombies
To feed the next army.
(c) 2012 Norman Dziedzic Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment