Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Homesick at Home (Betrayed)

I wrote this poem for the weekly challenge at 20 Lines A Day.  Check them out for a vibrant blog of poets and writers and photographers.

They have all left - kids, wife, dogs.
Not for good or very long for that matter
But I am alone, 
                homesick at home.

Oh how I wish this house were haunted.
At least by more than the spiders and 
                     occasional mouse.

Instead, I am haunted

   By silence the TV cannot drown out.
   By empty bedrooms 
            and chairs
            and couches.

   The normal routines dead end
            in meaninglessness.

But in fact
            this house is haunted.

   By the laundry
   And forgotten library books.
   Even dog's chew toys
   Mock and reproach me.

The anticipation of freedom
      Has betrayed me!


(c) 2012 Norman Dziedzic Jr.

1 comment: