Monday, May 21, 2012

The Closet

In my closet are many things
A list of five-hundred forgotten kings
An old black book of unplayed songs
A list from God of rights and wrongs

In the closet an old pair of vampire fangs
In the back an unfinished picture hangs
Clothes obsolete and never worn
An old English paper crumpled and torn

On the left on the shelf a red shoe box
Inside a half dozen unpaired sox
Six baseball cards without the names
A rack with all our childhood games

Five posters that glow in fluorescent black light
Three feet of string and a tailless kite
A white telescope with a lens with a crack
An old locomotive and some dusty bent track

Behind an old traffic sign reading "merge"
Three roads to nowhere all converge
(And with my pencil, paper and mind
I can see though I am blind
Can sing and can whistle without using a note
Can travel the seas without raft or a boat
Can learn without ever a teacher near
Can get real drunk without any beer
Can feel though I am locked in a shell
Experience heaven, experience hell
Can run and can fall and without wings can fly
Without ever living can know how to die
With a few well placed phrases and maybe a rhyme
I can solve the world's problems, can travel through time
Never speaking a word I know how to converse
The meaning of life I can give in a verse)
I can travel these roads when I feel real blue
When there's nothing else left, they know what to do

In front of the sign an old sleeping bag lays
Now downstairs I hear that our stereo plays
Picking up all the things that I've strewn on the floor
I exit the closet, close behind me the door

(c) 1984 Norman Dziedzic Jr.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, there were a lot of spelling mistakes when I typed this in. Hope all is fixed now. :-(

    ReplyDelete